Thursday, June 9, 2011

Home made green cleaning. Lets start with laundry powder!

Several people have said to me "you should totally start a blog about all of the home made cleaning products you have been making!".  So, your wish is my command.  I will say here though, that NONE of the recipes I post are my own.  When I want to make a certain product, I ask the internet (because you know, the internet knows everything), and try the ones that get the best reviews.  And I will do my best to find the time to share them with you.  If I'm posting a recipe, it is one that I have tried and like enough to share with the world.

The first product that I made was laundry powder (and I believe I got this recipe from Matt and Betsey Jabbs over at DIYNatural).  It is very simple, and after I type out the recipe I will give you a little bonus tip to make a natural fabric softener.  This recipe makes approximately 24 ounces.

1/2 cup Borax
1/2 cup Washing Soda
1 bar grated and finely chopped Fels-Naptha soap.

Put this all into a clean used large yogurt or cottage cheese container (you know the kind, right?) or something that holds about 32 ounces.  You'll want the wiggle room.

Ok, got your container?  Now SHAKE!  Shake it up reeealy good.  Pop a measuring teaspoon in that puppy and you're done.  You only need a teaspoon per load.  Give it a good shake before each use, as the soap tends to settle.

Ok, I promised a bonus hint, didn't I?

Do you have a Downy Ball?  Yes?  Awesome!  No?  Go out and get one!  Fill it about half full of vinegar and pop that baby in your laundry.  Remember elementary school volcanoes with baking soda and vinegar?  The same thing happens in your laundry with the washing soda, creating lots of fizzy bubbles.  And that creates a natural fabric softener.

TADA!

Ok, here is another bonus.  Not only are you doing something awesome for the environment, but its light on your wallet, too.  All of the ingredients combined cost less than a large box of the cheap commercial brand and it makes several batches.  And, you know, since you only use a teaspoon per load, it lasts a good long time.  Much longer than a box of that one brand you usually buy.

Oh yeah, and I have noticed that it MUST be a lot easier on my clothes, because dryer lint has been minimal since I started using this recipe.

win win win win win!

Ok, if anyone actually reads this and encourages me to keep going I will.  I have a bunch of other ideas and recipes to share, but right now, I need to go fold my chemical free clean laundry.

3 comments:

  1. This is the detergent that I've been using. Works great. I used the vinegar to soften diapers, but it doesn't help much with static. I went back to a homemade softener on a sponge in the dryer for static control.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is the "washing soda" part?

    ReplyDelete
  3. washing soda is Sodium Carbonate, not be be confused with baking soda, which is sodium BIcarbonate.

    You can find it in the laundry aisle of most groceries. It's packaged by Arm & Hammer.

    ReplyDelete